Wednesday, September 3, 2008

September 3, 2008

In the beginning was the Word... Have you ever thought how important words are? Not only did God create the world with four simple words, but words have transformed history. From the halls of ancient Egypt to the pillars in Rome man has an inner desire to speak, to express himself, to make his voice echo throughout the seemingly unending vacuum of space, and to leave his mark, to leave his word...The ability to express our thoughts and feelings is quite a magical thing.
But is it too much? Do we treat this gift too casually? Words are everywhere. They are so abundant that people don't pay attention any more. This brings to mind that song that Tesla use to sing..."Signs, signs everywhere the signs -Blocking up the scenery breaking my mind"... I'm also reminded of my young son. I love to read books to my children, so much so, that sometimes I see those rascals fading off into nowhere land. I want so badly for them to hear me-to understand what I'm teaching them, but when I use too many words, they phase me out. I think brevity is the key. I think we need to weigh our words before speaking to be effective. There is power in words. And power can go both ways.

No comments: